Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an 8-week program that teaches people to utilize their innate resources and abilities to respond more effectively to stress and pain (physical and psychological). It is based on the practice of mindfulness, which is about waking up, being fully alive, and being present for the richness of each moment of our lives. This program highlights mindfulness-based interventions and teaches participants techniques to control attention, build non-judgmental, moment-to-moment awareness, and cultivate compassion for self and others. Through the use of these techniques, participants will discover his/her habituated and often unhelpful reactions to life’s stressors, and learn alternative responses. With practice, one can apply these skills to everyday situations and begin to connect more fully with one’s self, loved ones, and the life one is living.
The Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course consists of 8 weekly sessions, each 2.5 hours long, and one all-day intensive retreat. Each session will include guided meditation, gentle movement or other mindfulness-based practices.
Objectives for the course include:
- Establishment of a daily meditation practice
- Cultivation of mindful awareness through several different types of mindfulness practices
- Recognition of negative patterns of reactivity triggered by stressors, and the development of alternative responses to stress
- Development of a deeper connection to and understanding of one's body and emotions
- Strategies to practice and apply mindfulness techniques in both personal and professional settings
- More effective communication with colleagues, supervisors, family and friends
Is MBSR Right for Me?
MBSR can be helpful for any individual who faces stress and challenge in her/his life. Among the specific difficulties past participants have reported are:
- Chronic pain and illness
- Anxiety and worry
- Relationship difficulties
- Problems with substances
- Sleep disturbance
- Career related issues
- Grief and loss
Additional important factors for consideration include attendance and commitment. Participants should be able to attend each class session, the all-day retreat, and to practice mindfulness at home for 20-40 minutes a day.
Fall 2021 Schedule
Class Dates: Thursdays, September 30 - November 18
All-day retreat: November 6, 2021
Class Location: Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation Center--Multipurpose Room 2
Non-Rice Affiliate: $425
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Participants who withdraw prior to the 1st class may receive a full refund minus a $30 administrative fee. Once class begins, no refunds will be granted.
Register for the Fall 2021 course HERE