R.O.P.E. Trip Leader Development
R.O.P.E. Trip Leaders are responsible for planning and executing the over all facilitation of our outdoor trips. Leaders are expected to create and foster meaningful environments for trip participants, while simultaneously ensuring the mental and physical safety of each individual. This position requires interpersonal communication skills, the ability to think critically and the flexibility to work both independently and with a co-instructor.
What are the Qualifications?
• Have willingness to learn and practice new outdoor skills and activities
• Have the ability to think independently and make decisions for everyday and emergency situations
• Maintain a positive attitude and interact well with ROPE trip participants
• Have the ability to earn a CPR, First Aid, and Wilderness First Aid Certifications
What is the level of commitment?
• Attend Outdoor Leadership Training Trip May 5th - May 12th, 2016.
• Attend 3 Training Trips each year. Training sessions include: Backpacking, Canoeing, Rock Climbing, Swiftwater Rescue, Leadership Expedition.
• Attend at least 1 Training Seminar each Semester. Training seminars include: Equipment Maintenance, Defensive Driving, Trip Planning, Leave No Trace
• Trip Leaders lead at least 2 trips per semester for a minimum of 4 trip days.
E.g. a 3-day backpacking trip & a 1-day canoeing trip, or four 1-day trips.
• Monthly and semi-annual meetings to review, plan, and develop our outdoor programming.
What are the benefits?
• Leadership training including group management skills, judgment and decision making, risk management, environmental ethics and expedition behavior.
• Technical outdoor skills training including kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, caving, backpacking, basic camping skills and wilderness medicine.
• Free equipment rentals and outdoor trips (when space is available), training materials, discounts at Texas Rock Gym, outdoor equipment, and apparel.
• Leave No Trace Trainer, Technical Skills, and Wilderness First Aid certification opportunities.
• Valuable volunteer experience and service opportunities
How do I apply?
Trip Leaders are traditionally hired during the Spring Semester. If interested, you are encouraged to experience a ROPE trip as a participant prior to application.
Feel free to stop by the Outdoor Adventure Center (OAC) and also speak to one of our Trip Leaders directly about their experience.
Applications can be dropped off at the OAC during the application period. In person interviews will be conducted over the following weeks.
All new leaders must attend the Outdoor Leadership Training Trip May 5th - May 12th, 2016.
If you have any questions stop by the Outdoor Adventure Center or email the Assistant Director Kris Cortez
Applications are open for 2016 from March 15th - April 1st.
ROPE Trip Leader Application