R.O.P.E. Trip Leader Development
R.O.P.E. Trip Leaders are responsible for planning and executing the over all facilitation of our outdoor trips. Leaders are expected to create and foster meaningful environments for trip participants, while simultaneously ensuring the mental and physical safety of each individual. This position requires interpersonal communication skills, the ability to think critically and the flexibility to work both independently and with a co-instructor.
What are the Qualifications?
• Have willingness to learn and practice new outdoor skills and activities
• Have the ability to think independently and make decisions for everyday and emergency situations
• Maintain a positive attitude and interact well with ROPE trip participants
• Have the ability to earn a CPR, First Aid, and Wilderness First Aid Certifications
What is the level of commitment?
We ask that all trip leaders attend two trainings each semester. In the fall we hold rock climbing (half-day) and basic camping skills (1.5 day) trainings. In the spring we hold backpacking (2 days) and canoe (half-day) trainings. When you have completed the training process we ask that all trip leaders lead either two 1-day trips or one 2-day weekend trip each semester.
What are the benefits?
• Leadership training including group management skills, judgment and decision making, risk management, environmental ethics and expedition behavior
• Technical leadership training including kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, caving, backpacking, basic camping skills and wilderness medicine
• Free equipment rentals and outdoor trips (when space is available), training materials, discounts at Texas Rock Gym, outdoor equipment and apparel
• Leave No Trace Trainer, CPR/AED, First Aid, and Wilderness First Aid certifications
• Valuable volunteer experience and service opportunities
How do I apply?
We hire Trip Leaders as needed throughout each semester. If interested, you are encouraged to first sign up for a ROPE trip as a participant. Then, you can apply online or submit your application at the OAC. If you have any questions feel free to stop by the OAC and speak to one of our Trip Leaders directly about their experience.
Rope Trip Leader Description