Create a connection between physical and mental health with a variety of Mind&Body classes to choose from. Relax, renew and refresh with formats such as Vinyasa Flow, Acro Yoga, Mat Pilates, Tai Chi, and Yamuna Body Rolling. Pick a format that speaks to you, and our experienced instructors will provide you with a workout that integrates mind, body and spirit. Namaste.
Join the Get-Fit listserv for news and updates about the fitness program.
All Mind&Body classes will be held in MPR3 unless otherwise noted. Schedule runs May 31 - August 5, 2016. There will be no Mind&Body classes July 4, 2016.
Schedule is subject to change at any time.
Scroll down for class descriptions
Single Class Pass:Student Member: $5 | Non-Student Member: $10How to purchase a pass:Single Class Passes are available for purchase at the Operations Desk only.
*May 31- June 3 is Free Preview Week, so attend as many classes as you like! You do not need a pass to enter any classes that week.*
Dates: May 31 - August 5, 2016
Location: Recreation Center - MPR 3 (unless otherwise noted)
Cost: Student Member:$80 | Non-Student Member: $90
1. Membership to the Gibbs Recreation Center and Wellness Center is required to purchase an unlimited Mind&Body pass.
2. Mind&Body semester passes can only be purchased at the Rice Recreation Center online store. You will be notified when a more permanent pass is available for pick up at the facilities operation desk.
3. Unlimited passes are available for purchase online only. Please allow 3 business days to process. If you purchase a pass the same day as desired attendance, please take your receipt of purchase to the instructor to be admitted.
4. Participants will be emailed when unlimited pass is ready for pick-up. Cards may be picked up at the Operations Desk of the Recreation Center.
4. Current passes must be shown at the entry of each Mind&Body class.
Classes are subject to change at any time. Subscribe to the Get-Fit list serve to receive the latest updates and check online for the most updated schedule. Instructors will be substituted from time to time.
Please help us reduce your risk of injury and create a refreshing experience for all participants by following these guidelines:
• 5-Minute Rule: Participants may enter a class up to 5-minutes after the scheduled start. Entrance is prohibited after 5-minutes have passed to ensure that all participants arrive early enough to become sufficiently warmed up for the vigorous parts of each class.
• Please inform the instructor if you have any special considerations (e.g., pregnancy, injury, illness, recent surgery) which may influence your ability to take a class. Also, this will allow the instructor to provide options for success when necessary.
• The use of personal music devices, cell phones and PDA’s, are not permitted during class. If a call or text or must be attended to, quietly leave the studio and return upon finishing.
• Athletic attire must be worn during class.
• If you need to leave class early, please inform the instructor.
Acro Yoga Combining the disciplines of yoga, acrobatics and Thai massage, this joyful practice uses partner training to cultivate strength, balance, openness and communication. It is usually done in groups of 3 or 4, so no partner is needed, though it's always nice to train with a friend. This class is hands-on and safety oriented.
Advanced Flow Take this challenging class that integrates advanced poses into your regular practice. This class is designed to help you build and create a skillful, conscious, powerful, and energizing practice that will transform your body and mind. You will be encouraged to test and find your limits. Modifications are provided for those with injuries or limitations.
All Levels This yoga class is designed for beginners, intermediate, and advanced yogis.
Basic Korean Tai Chi (Dahn Mu Do) An ancient martial art and healing tradition that dates back 5,000 years
in Korea. Through gentle, restorative, low impact mind-body exercise
including static positions and mindful movement, build physical, mental
and spiritual strength for daily life. Addresses balance, alignment,
lower body strength, and releasing upper body tension.
Mat Pilates The Pilates series of exercises will help develop strength, flexibility
and coordination, thereby improving postural alignment and balance.
Mindfulness Meditation This helps us cultivate moment-to-moment, non-judgemental awareness of
our physical, mental and emotional experiences. It teaches us to be
unconditionally present, curious and open to our lives, and is an
excellent antidote to the stresses of modern times. Classes will be
approximately 45 minutes in length, and will include sitting on chairs
or meditation cushions or lying on mats. All sessions will be guided.
Power Flow This class will challenge your body and mind as you move through
postures in progressive, fun and energetic sequences to find your edge.
Power Restorative Need to relax, unwind, and get stronger
fast? This is your class. A full hour of stretches and poses aimed at
finding release from heads full of studies, tech neck and more, plus
efficient strength and balance training. The poses will help you
reconnect with your bodies so that they can properly rest in the
Relax & Restore This flowing restorative class combines different yoga formats to
create a class gentle enough to attend every day or in addition to other
classes. This class is ideal for students looking to begin their
practice or for those concerned with injury.
Vinyasa Flow A more vigorous approach to yoga characterized by the synchronization of poses to the breath.
Yamuna Body Rolling® (YBR) Combines fitness and therapy in a unique wellness workout. Developed by
Yamuna Zake and based on Body Logic, YBR uses six to ten inch
re-inflatable balls to release muscles. Learn anatomy experimentally while creating a leaner, well-aligned body and preventing or healing
CLUB SPORTSClub Contact
OUTDOOR ADVENTURE Equipment Rentals Outdoor Trips and Registration
L.P.A.P.Schedules and OutlinesS.Y.A.P.Registration
6100 Main St. | MS-523 | Houston, TX 77005-1982 T: 713-348-4058 | F: 713-348-5329 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rice University | Rice Athletics | Wellness Center | Student Affairs